This is an online version of Tomber and Dore 1998, The National Roman Fabric Reference Collection: A Handbook, MoLAS Monograph 2 which is now out of print. It contains a searchable catalogue of Roman Pottery fabrics, with full colour photographs and thin section photomicrographs.
This is a collection of pages on pottery and ceramics in archaeology, principally of the Roman period (1st cent. BC – 5th cent. AD) in Britain and western Europe.
- The pages include an introductory Atlas of Roman Pottery, containing descriptions and distribution maps of types of Roman pottery (particularly types found in Britain).
- The pages of the Atlas describing the individual wares can be accessed through the main menu, which lists the wares by CLASS (table wares, cooking wares, transport amphoras etc) or SOURCE (by province of origin). Links to these indices will also be found in the main menu bar.
- The Potsherd pages were hosted at www.potsherd.uklinux.net between 2000 and 2010.
- The permanent URL for this site is now http://potsherd.net.
Roman Pottery in Britain
- The site includes a companion to Roman Pottery in Britain, a survey of pottery made or used in Britain during the Roman period published in 1996. The pages include an additional index of non-UK sites and a list of errata.
- Central Gaulish granite-tempered wares: database, images etc to accompany paper published in the journal Nord-Ouest Archéologie 12 (2001). This ware includes some of the moulded-rim jars classified in French ceramic reports as le type Besançon.
CUPOD – Cambridge University Palynological Online Database
QPG PD is an electronic resource designed to aide students of palynology (the study of pollen and spores) at both undergraduate and graduate level. This resource is focused primarily on the study of fossil pollen and spores as a means of reconstructing past environments.